Friday, June 3, 2011

I Am, Therefore I Run?

There is grace in the cool of this morning.  It has been so hot, the days blinding and just a smear of heat, the nights smothering, not bothering to descend into cool, knowing they'll just have to warm up again in the morning.  But last night the temperature dipped like a ladle into the surface of the water, and so I went out into it, ran out into it.

It wasn't a particularly eventful or successful run; I struggled to hold my pace down as it wriggled like a fish to get free.  But on the bridge over the railroad tracks with the gentle slope upwards to downtown before me, the sky opened as it does in that clear space, horizon to horizon, forever, with the train tracks dwindling, slender and shining wetly in the early sun, to meet them on either side.  The clouds fanned out above me, pale blue heavy stitching on a white quilt with the sun bleeding through, soaking first the heavens before dripping down to earth to pool later in hot lakes of gold on the grasses and mirages of oil slick puddles on the asphalt.  I lifted my chin and the joy of running took hold and I bounded up the rise of the bridge, running like I run when I dream about running, effortlessly and overwhelmed by the exhilaration of my own strength, eyes on the sky instead of on the pavement, wanting to raise my arms in some kind of spiritual abandon, the music in my ears pouring through me gleefully like water through rocks in a stream, glittering.

I wish for everyone a space in your life to reach a feeling like that, such happiness which comes from the sudden, unexpected reward after a long struggle.  Go find it!  Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment